Planning an Event?
The most important part of event planning is event promotion. The Kingdom wants to help support attendance at Local Events throughout the Kingdom, so the Kingdom has created two ways to get the word out about your Event; the Kingdom Calendar and the Outlandish Herald newsletter.
The Kingdom Calendar is the official and central Calendar of Events for Outlands Kingdom Events as well as other Local Events going on around the Kingdom.
The Outlandish Herald is the Official Kingdom Newsletter and has been the primary source of published info about Events going on in the Kingdom.
The Kingdom Webministry would like to announce that we have set up events.outlands.org, a location for groups to host their event web page and announcements if they have the need for it.
There are a few steps to get your Event listed on the Kingdom Calendar and in the Outlandish Herald newsletter.
To Get Your Event on the Official Outlands Event Calendar:
The first step in promoting your event on the Official Outlands Kingdom Calendar is to review the Event Planning Calendar to be sure you are not scheduling against any major Events near you that may draw some of your audience away.
Once you have secured a good date for your event to take place, the second step is to submit an Event Submission Form to the Kingdom Calendar Deputy according to the type of Event you are proposing:
- For Local Events: Download the Local Event Submission Form (PDF)
- For Kingdom Events: Download the Kingdom Event Hosting Proposal Form (PDF)
To Get Your Event Listed in the Outlandish Herald:
In order to do "Official Business" at an Event, it must be published in the Outlandish Herald Newsletter. Official business is activities such as Peer Circles, Royal Court, etc.
The Outlandish Herald also offers the opportunity to promote your Event with details and promotional ad copy.
Why Host an Event?
There are many benefits to hosting Events:
- Building brand recognition- Events help promote your Local Group by exposing the group to new people in your community. Events, especially in public venues, bring newcomers and gives us the chance to showcase our Society and what we are about.
- Connecting with others on a face to face personal level- Events give us the opportunity to connect with old friends, meet new friends, and get some camaraderie time in an environment that is usually some kind of celebration or relaxing activity.
- Strengthening the community- Events help people bond in different ways. For instance, they may have to work together to organize the event, or maybe join forces on a team for a game or competition, or through social activities, such as feasts and parties.
- Generating revenue- Events can help your local group generate revenue through site fees or event fees. Be sure to charge enough to cover expenses, but not too much that the event becomes unaffordable.
- Establishing thought leadership- An Event can help promote ideas or ideals that people may not have considered before. Ideas like new fighting scenarios, new ways of getting a more authentic look using modern materials, or maybe teaching new ways of doing things better are all ways to provide thought leadership or to show how your group is really good at one thing or another.
- Having fun- Events are a great opportunity to have fun, blow off steam, and relax.
What types of Activities take place at Events?
The types of activities that take place at events are usually themed towards the type of Event. if the Event is a feast, you can expect there will be a lot of food and maybe light entertainment. If the Event is a fighting tournament, you can expect heated battles and Heraldic displays.
The possibilities for Activities are endless, but here are some examples of Activities that take place at Events:
- Tournaments (Fighting, Archery, Arts, etc)
- Exhibitions (Arts & Sciences, Fighting, etc)
- Performing Arts (Bardic)
- Court Dancing (European Folk Dance)
- Feasting and Cooking
- Games (Backgammon, Chess, etc)
- Royal Court
- Award Ceremonies
- Drum Circles
- Mercantile Activities (Buy / Sell / Trade)
- Power-lounging (ahh relaxing)